Monday, June 6, 2011

Scaling The Laundry Mountain

We all know that the mountain that is laundry never seems to go away. And just when you think it's gone, a new day begins and thus you have a new mountain. It can be overwhelming, especially when you get behind. But be not dismayed my fellow launderers. There is hope yet.

Several weeks ago I was speaking to a mom who has the privilege of raising eight children. She candidly admitted that she is not the best housekeeper, and was okay with it. Her house was not always perfect, and she found great freedom in not stressing over it. And she was one of the most joyful moms I have met. During the course of our conversation, she told me about her laundry system. At the time I dismissed it as something that was not possible for me due to space. But after some thought I figured out a way to make to work. It's really nothing extraordinary, but the mountain is disappearing so I'm happy.

What she does is have a large plastic tote for everyone in the house. These totes stay in the laundry room. This is why I dismissed the idea at first. I don't have a laundry room, but just a closet. So totes were not an option for me. It then occurred to me to buy folding baskets instead.  Everyone has their own basket that they are responsible for. When the laundry is dried we simply separate it into the baskets. No folding at this point.

I have told the children that their basket must be emptied before bedtime. I do not care if they fold it, but it must be put away in the correct drawer and that drawer must be closed. The results have been great. I am not the only one that does laundry now. Everyone can pitch in. Ryan got the laundry caught up yesterday while I was grocery shopping, and kept saying, "I am loving this new system." And it makes the children responsible for their own clothing. I still fold my stuff as well as Ella's, but everyone else does their own.

A major lesson for me has been that when I feel overwhelmed with a certain task, I need take time to be a little creative. It is one of the joys of being a wife and mom. Having little ones is a challenge, but the lessons learned are an  important part of our sanctification. So rejoice!

1 comment:

  1. OK, first of all I think you told me you had a blog at one time and I totally forgot about it until you commented today. I love it, especially your pictures at the top. I am deeply pondering the laundry system thing. I will keep you posted...

    ReplyDelete