Thursday, March 10, 2011

To TV or not to TV?

This has been a question that keeps coming back to me. I am very convicted about the television, but have been complacent as of late about when and how much. And the content.... well, we all know that most channels are filled with trash and nonsense.

However, I had a breakthrough last week while washing dishes. The Lord gave me clarity on the issue of television, and I believe it is relevant for all Christians. So here is what the Lord so graciously whispered to my heart....

     Instead of teaching your children to sit at the feet of the Savior, you place them in the lap of the immoral to  
     drink in all of their debauchery.

I certainly do not want to wet the appetite of my children for the very things that God Himself hates. I do not want to invite the world into my home and into the hearts of my children. We are called to think on things that are pure and lovely and good and to meditate day and night on the law of God.

May our home be one of purity and soundness of mind.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kayla, I've dealt with this issue to. It's probably one of my biggest struggles as a mom. Fighting the temptation to sit Silas in front of the TV so I can have uninterrupted time to get things done is so hard. Have you found any practical ways to keep the kiddos occupied while still being able to get things done? I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, the thing that I wish I would have done more consistently over the last 7 years is training my children to work alongside mommy. Working around the house should be a normal everyday activity for the children.

    It does take more time to get things done when you have little ones following you around, but teaching them to do jobs around the house is so important.

    Isaac is 2yrs old, and he does things like picking up laundry and toys around the house. He brings the trashcans to me so they can be emptied. He "helps" me make beds, wipe down toilets, and vacuum.

    Of course, he doesn't have the coordination to do a 'great' job, but it is teaching him that helping mommy is important.

    I am learning to just relax and enjoy having them around instead of trying to keep them occupied. And those jobs that only I can do are reserved for naptime or when Ryan is home.

    ReplyDelete