Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Writing and Reading

"By all means let children be taught to read.....else you deprive them of a singular help to their instruction and salvation." Richard Baxter, 1600's.

"It is up to you as the teacher to create the atmosphere and the desire to learn. Our payer is that one of the first books the child studies will be the Bible." Wanda Sanseri, Teaching Reading at Home


I could not agree more! I love writing and reading, and I long to create that love in my children. At the very least they must be able to communicate, both through speaking and writing, in an intelligent, godly manner. How many wonderful books and speeches would have been lost had it not been for the diligent education of those by whom they were penned.

So, having said that, I have chosen to use a certain curriculum with my children that I believe to be the best. Yes, that is my personal opinion and you do not have to agree. However, I have two great readers (and spellers for that matter) to show for it. And it seemed to flow from them naturally, as if it had been in their brains all along. It requires just a few minutes a day, and soon the student will pick up a book and begin reading. But I must confess here that I have not been very consistent over the last few months with the arrival a new baby, and yet my kindergartener is reading wonderfully.

So what do I use? The Writing Road to Reading by Romalda Spalding along with Teaching Reading at Home by Wanda Sanseri. I really think that both books are required along with the Spalding flashcards. I paid less than $50 for everything and will use it for all five children through 6th grade - although, I think they will have mastered all the material long before then and will be ready to move on.

I have also begun a grammar program with my 1st grader this year. It's called  Shurley English by Brenda Shurley and is very easy to teach. He is also learning to report on books that I choose for him.

Challenge your children, and watch their minds bloom right before your eyes. Allow laziness, and they will wither. Happy schooling to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment